Providing Combat Air Power
Drive a Culture of True Lethality
The 477th Fighter Group employs more than 300 Airmen, including civilians, throughout six units: the 302nd Fighter Squadron, 477th Maintenance Squadron, 477th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, the 477th Aerospace Medicine Flight, 477th Force Support Squadron and the 477th Operations Support Flight.
The 477th Fighter Group was originally known as the 477th Bombardment Group (Medium) and was manned by the famed African American aviators known as the Tuskegee Airmen. The 477th Bombardment Group was established on May 13, 1943. It was activated on June 1, 1943, inactivated on August 25, 1943, and then reactivated on January 15, 1944. It was redesignated the 477th Composite Group on June 22, 1945 and inactivated again on July 1, 1947.
The unit was assigned to Third Air Force, June 1 - August 25, 1943; First Air Force, January 15, 1944; and to Ninth Air Force, January 1 - July 1, 1947.
The 477 FG was made up of the 99th Fighter Squadron from June 22, 1945 - July 1, 1947. The 616th Bombardment belonged to the 477 FG from June 1 - August 25, 1943 and January 15, 1944 - June 22, 1945. The 617th Bombardment Group belonged to the 477 FG from June 1 - August 25, 1943 and from April 15, 1944 - July 1, 1947. The 618th Bombardment Group was assigned to the 477 FG June 1 - August 25, 1943 and once again from May 15, 1944 - October 8, 1945. The 619th Bombardment was also attached to the 477 FG from June 1 - August 25, 1943 and from May 27 - June 22, 1945.
The 477 FG was located at MacDill Field, Fla., from June 1 - August 25, 1943; relocated to Selfridge Field, Mich., on January 15, 1944; and then to Goldman Field, Ky., on May 6, 1944. Two years later it was relocated again to Lockbourne AAB, Ohio, where it remained from March 13, 1946 until July 1, 1947.
The group was commanded by Lt. Colonel Andrew O. Lerche in 1943, followed by Colonel Robert R. Selway Jr. on January 21, 1944. Colonel Benjamin O. Davis Jr. was the commander from June 21, 1945 until deactivation on July 1, 1947.
On Oct. 1, 2007, the 477 FG was reactivated as an associate unit at Elmendorf AFB, Alaska, designed to support active duty by flying and maintaining the world's newest fighter, the F-22A.
The B-26 was the original airframe attached to the 477th Bombardment Group in 1943, followed by the B-25 from 1944 - 1947. The P-47 replaced the B-25 in 1945 and was flown until deactivation in 1947. On October 1, 2007, the 477th became the first unit in Air Force Reserve history to acquire the F-22A Raptor mission.
The 477th service streamers include World War II American Theater and the Air Force Outstanding Unit Award.