Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

If you have a general military question, please refer to the Department of Defense Frequently Asked Questions page. If your question relates specifically to the Air Force, please refer to the  Air Force Link Questions.

If you have a specific question about the 477th Fighter Group, please contact us. Below are a few helpful links about the Air Force Reserve and Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson (JBER).


Collapse All Expand All
 Unit Training Assembly (UTA) schedule

How do I find the Unit Training Assembly (UTA) schedule?

The UTA schedule is available on the unit SharePoint from a government connected computer.


Your Airmen can provide you with a copy of the official schedule, which they can find on our SharePoint site.

 Air Force Reserve Information

Where can I get more information about the Air Force Reserve?

For more information on the Air Force Reserve visit or call 1-800-257-1212 to speak to an advisor.

 Base Lodging

How do I make lodging reservations on base?

For Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson lodging information, call 907-552-2454, extension x1118, or visit North Star Inn.


 Flyover or Static Display Requests

How do I request a flyover or static display at my event?

Requests for a military flyover or static aircraft display at your special event can be made through the U.S. Air Force Aerial Events Support  page or 673d Wing Public Affairs Office.

Event organizers, please be aware that military aircraft flyover and static display requests are subject to a number of restrictions and are supported only when they do not impact operational missions. Anyone requesting a flyover or aircraft static display must submit a completed DD Form 2535 a minimum of 90 days before the event to be considered for support. Requests received 30 days or closer to the event will NOT be considered.

You can download and print out a DD Form 2535 and follow the instructions for correctly filling out the form and submitting it.

You can submit your DD Form 2535 to Air Force Public Affairs (SAF/PAN) either by fax (703) 693-9601, or mail:

USAF Aerial Events
1690 Air Force Pentagon
Washington, DC 20330-1690

Before requesting a military aircraft flyover, please call the 673d Wing Public Affairs Office at 907-552-8941, to discuss your event. They cannot guarantee approval of your request, but they may help make the request process a smoother experience.


 Reserve Activations

How long can a Reserve unit be activated?

A reserve unit can be activated for up to two years. If the unit served the full two years, they can only be reactivated upon receipt of a new executive order. There is no set time between the end of an activation and the start of a new activation order. Personnel may only serve two years under the current executive order. If they didn't complete two years, they can be reactivated to serve the remainder of their two years.

 Reserve Categories

What are the Reserve component categories?

Title 10, US Code states: "The Reserve components of the armed forces are Army National Guard of the United States, The Army Reserve, The Naval Reserve, The Marine Corps Reserve, The Air National Guard of the United States, The Air Force Reserve Command and The Coast Guard Reserve."

There are over 465,000 members in the Air Force Ready Reserve, Standby and Retired Reserve. All Reserve members who are currently serving or subject to recall are assigned to one of these three categories:

- Ready Reserve (Selected Reserve (SelRes) & Individual Ready Reserve (IRR)) are made up of nearly 118,000 trained reservists who may be recalled to active duty to augment active forces in time of war or national emergency. Within the Ready Reserve, greater than 75,500 reservists are members of the SelRes [Unit , Active Guard/Reserve (AGR) and Individual Mobilization Augmentees (IMA)] who train regularly and are paid for their participation in unit or individual programs. These reservists are combat ready and can deploy to anywhere in the world in 72 hours. Within the SelRes, over 13,000 are assigned in the IMA category and are charged with directly supplementing the active duty. Additionally, more than 42,000 are part of the IRR. IRR members continue to have a service obligation. Some members continue to participate in a non-paid status. Certain categories of the IRR are subject to recall.

- Standby Reserve are members whose civilian jobs are considered key to national defense, or who have temporary disability or personal hardship. Most standby reservists do not train and are not assigned to units. There are over 15,242 members in the Standby Reserve.

- The Retired categories include approximately 215,000 reserve members.

Another special category consists of retired members who are either over 60 years of age or have served more than 30 total years. The approximate total in this category is 515,000 members. These members will not be recalled under any circumstances.


 Types of Reservists

What are the different types of Reservists?

What is Active Guard and Reserve (AGR)?

Active Guard and Reserve are members of a Reserve component on active duty under Titles 10 U.S.C., 14 U.S.C., or full-time National Guard duty under 32 U.S.C. 502(f) for a period of 180 consecutive days or more.

The tour purpose is organizing, administering, recruiting, instructing or training the Reserve components according to Subsection 101(d)(6).

Navy Training and Administration of the Reserves (TAR) and Canvasser/Recruiters, Marine Corps Active Reserves (AR), and Coast Guard Reserve Program Administrators (RPAs) are included in this definition.

What is an Air Reserve Technician or ART?

Air Reserve Technicians carry dual status, working as full-time Department of Defense civil service employees and as Reservists performing the same job in an Air Force Reserve Command unit. In their civilian role, Air Reserve Technicians provide full-time support throughout the month for their units and as Reservists wearing the uniform they participate in unit training assemblies in addition to annual active-duty tours.

What is an IMA?

Individual Mobilization Augmentees are Reservists who are assigned to active-duty units to do jobs that are essential in wartime but do not require full-time manning during times of peace. They report for duty a minimum of one day a month and 12 additional days a year.

 Air Force Reserve Retirement

How do I find information about my upcoming Air Force Reserve Retirement?

You can find information at the Air Reserve Personnel Center website.

 Noise Complaint

How can I make a noise complaint?

For aircraft-related or other noise complaints you believe were generated from JBER equipment or personnel send an email to

Please include the information below.  Detailed information makes it easier to research complaints.

Date/Time of Incident:
Have you filed a complaint with JBER before? Y or N
First and Last Name:
Phone Number:
Address, City, Zip:
E-mail Address:
Time of Incident:
Have you filed a complaint with JBER before? Y or N
Can you provide a detailed response of the incident?
Where did this occur? Please be as specific as possible. 
What type of aircraft was it?
Any additional information:
Do you want a response?


How can I find information about voting?

The Federal Voting Assistance Program provides assistance for service members, their families and overseas citizens.


Alaska offers multiple ways to register to vote.  A person may register online or at the Department of Motor Vehicles when applying for a license.

Alaska Elections webpage
Anchorage Elections webpage
Mat-su Elections webpage